27 March 2006

IQ

Otherwise known as the intelligence quotient, it is not very popular these days (from what I know). Yet some scientists continue their research in the field. I found the last point here (from Maxim) particularly interesting:

  • Intelligence quotient


  • IQ test controversy


  • Religiosity and intelligence
    Several studies on Americans focus on the beliefs of high-IQ individuals. In one study, 90% of the general population surveyed professed a distinct belief in a personal god and afterlife, while only 40% of the scientists with a BS surveyed did so, and only 10% of those considered "eminent." Another study found that mathematicians were just over 40%, biologists just under 30%, and physicists were barely over 20% likely to believe in God.

    A survey of members of the United States National Academy of Sciences showed that 72% are outright atheists, 21% are agnostic and only 7% admit to belief in a personal God.

    The Pew Global Attitudes Project surveyed opinions by nation with the question "How important is religion in your life—very important, somewhat important, not too important, or not at all important?" The report finds that Americans are much more religious than people living in other wealthy nations. In the U.S., 59% of people reported religion was "very important", as compared to 30% in Canada. In this way, the views of Americans are more simliar to people in developing countries than those in developed countries. The study found a correlation between the percentage of people reporting that religion was "very important" and the national per-capita GDP. It can be further stated that the nations who scored as most religious tended to have low science scores according to TIMSS. Also an inverse correlation at Nationmaster can be found between mathematical literacy and church attendance. (Although labor regulation and police per capita were far stronger inverse correlations) No significant inverse correlation showed up for scientific literacy or reading literacy however.


  • IQ rankings of European countries


  • #62 of Maxim's 100 Things You Need to Know About Women
    A British study claims a woman’s chances of getting married drop by 40 percent for every 16-point rise in her IQ. The same increase in IQ for a man boosted his chances of getting married by 35 percent.

2 comments:

kylark said...

I have a high IQ, am 31, and not yet married. I'm curious as to why high IQ in women correlates with marrying late (or never).

The rest of that Maxim list was crazycrazy. I'm tempted to do a point-by-point commentary on my blog.

Fell said...

You should! I don't think I finished it, I stopped once I found that gem and quickly perused the rest of it for anything useful.

It raises my hopes, however. For the past years my friends — and my mother — have been picking at me and why I am single.

(I've actually been absinent for over a year now, I think it's been.)

Anyhow, I've been getting really concerned that perhaps all the women I tend to meet are uninspiring or still think reading is for "nerds." I guess the situation is a bit shitter for women interested in men (if the statitistics are to be believed), but at least I can see the herd being culled.

By the time I am willing to chill out with a woman, a good percentage of those left over will be of nominal IQ.

Hooray me!