18 December 2005

Take a look at what you are

Scott Ginsberg began wearing a nametag every day in college as an experiment, to see if it would make people friendlier. Now, 1,863 days later, he has learned some important lessons on building a brand. He shared five tips to make your brand approachable:

Tip #1. Do something cool
"In my years of wearing a nametag, people say, 'Scott, that's the coolest thing I ever heard.' They tell other people about it," Scott says. "When you have a product or company that's 'cool,' people can't keep it to themselves. Try to understand the "cool" things that you like, then look for the commonalities between them to discover your own brand of cool."

Tip # 2. Be "That Guy"
In Scott's first six months wearing a nametag, he learned that people didn't just call him by first name. He was always "That Guy with the Nametag" and it has become part of who he is -- his own personal brand.

People enjoy dealing with "That Guy" because he's memorable. What guy are you? Consider this:
  • Every time I [blank], it makes people stop, listen, and say "WOW!"

  • People always remember me for [blank].

  • I'm probably the only person you'll ever meet who will [blank].

Tip #3. Fans, not customers
Fans stick with you even if you do something bad. They'll go to the ends of the earth to find your product. And they don't need to be sold to.

"A customer is someone who comes to a store to buy a lamp and never comes back," Scott explains. "Fans crave experiences unlike any others." Think about how to give them the experiences they crave.

Tip #4. Own a word
Scott recently got a call from an editor at Cosmopolitan magazine who was writing about approachability. After searching on Amazon, Scott was the only author she found. "I own the word 'approachability,'" he says.

To discover the word you own, consider this:
  • If you looked up [blank] in the dictionary, you'd see a picture of my company.

  • If I was about to give a speech to 10,000 people and one of the audience members came backstage and asked what my speech was about, I'd probably say, [blank].

Tip #5. Market yourself daily
By wearing a nametag, Scott is marketing himself every day. And it's working: "I ran into a guy I went to high school with, and he said he was just reading about me. Where? In Ripley's Believe It or Not."

Scott's career as speaker and author took off thanks to a conversation he had with a guy on a bus about the nametag thing. The guy was the boyfriend of a reporter … and the rest is history.

More about Scott:
Hello, My name is BLOG
Book
More about Scott's quiz in Cosmo
Bio

via the Word of Mouth Marketing Association

5 comments:

channel null said...

My traditionalist leanings make me want to find Scott & turn his brains into a carefully used extract to learn the exact nature of the intelligences making the modern world so fucking fucked up.

Fell said...

Haha! Yeah I can sorta agree, but it is an interesting exercise regardless. In enlightenment, the point is to move the majority of one's thoughts into the purely subjective realm, leaving the influence of the outside world. But to do so, we should be aware of how the outside world affects us.

I also like how it can give one a better idea of their placement in the overall game, or drama, of this all. An awareness of one's dharma as it becomes more apparent through the testing and analysis of how the worldview takes oneself into consideration.

You can't escape the Game if you don't know what piece you play in the first place, can you?

Kylark said...

Channel Null said it better than I ever could.

You can't escape the Game if you don't know what piece you play in the first place, can you?

Good riposte.

hellomynameisscott said...

In regards to turning my brain into extract, feel free to call my cell at 314/374-3397 and we'll hook up!

Merry Christmas!

Fell said...

Excellent! Let's see if anyone calls. I think it's a valuable exercise in perspective and labelling.