25 November 2005

Number Spiral

via Information Aesthetics
Click for larger number spiralOut of the chaos comes a beautiful, sometimes undefinable order. Number Spiral is a website that documents and illustrates the concept of the same name: "A ribbon with non-negative integers placed along a ribbon which is rolled up with zero at its center. When all the prime numbers are highlighted, specific visual patterns (odd curves) seem to emerge."

I really wish I would have learned more math in my younger years. Though, it's never too late to learn. Anyon have any good introductory book suggestions?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool.

I'm convinced that all our interpretations of beauty (at least visually and audibly) come down to the immeasurable arrangements of infinite numbers and intricate formulas…

I *heart* Math.

“Are you the square root of 2? Because I feel irrational when I am around you.” :P

chressie said...

looks like a fingerprint.

others - here
http://www.miqel.com/pure-math-patterns/visual-math-varieties.html

Anonymous said...

www.szinhaz.hu/edan/prim
The bigger part is in Hungarian, but you can find texts in English, too.

Fell said...

Awesome! Thanks, Anonymous. There are some slick work on there.