09 November 2005

The Fountain, by Darren Aronofsky

Anyone who became hooked on Darren Aronofsky with his remarkable film dealing with numerology and the stock market, Pi, and then his adaptation of Hubert Selby Jr's Requiem for a Dream, will be pleased to know that he's finally gotten around to making the sci-fi that he's always wanted to do. Just goes to show what a little ingenuity can do…

"Spanning over one thousand years, and three parallel stories, The Fountain is a story of love, death, spirituality, and the fragility of our existence in this world."

Link to the official site. Link to the QuickTime trailer.

Funny enough, Aronofsky may be on his way to the Valhalla of filmmakers if he keeps up what he's been doing, and during the early stages of production Brad Pitt was slated to star but dropped out to star in Troy instead. Guess he deserve what he got with that piece of shit film. Pitt was later replaced by Hugh Jackman, currently starring alongside Rachel Weisz.

Here's to hoping Hollywood doesn't bugger it up. Wouldn't want Aronofsky to have to start suffering Alan Moore syndrome.

The Fountain's concept, the little I know of it, reminds me of a quote from The Thin Red Line that has stuck with me since I first saw it years ago. Sgt Walsh, speaking of love: "If I should never find you in this life, let me feel the lack. One glance from your eyes, and my life will be yours." I've always felt a bit alone, but comfortable in knowing that if I don't find it in this life, that I shall appreciate it that much more in time because of the appreciation of the lacking. I know many have touted self-discovery as the fulfilment that can replace the need to be needed, but Jung also pointed out, "Where love reigns there is no will to power; and where the will to power is paramount, love is lacking. The one is but the shadow of the other."

At this point, I say do not settle until you know.

No comments: