13 November 2005

Ambigrams

I am sure many people are familiar with ambigrams, but to take a further look check out John Langdon. He did the ambigram work for Angels and Demons, by Dan Brown (of The Da Vinci Code fame).

There is also more information on ambigrams at Wikipedia, link. There is also mention of mathematician Douglas R. Hofstadter on that entry, of which his book Gödel, Escher, Bach featured a most wonderful three-dimensional ambigram on the cover. Hofstadter describes an ambigram as a "calligraphic design that manages to squeeze two different readings into the selfsame set of curves."

I have Hofstadter's Metamagical Themas sitting on my bookshelf next to me. It's a monster of a read, but piques my curiosity when I look at it every night before I go to bed. One day…

2 comments:

ominous said...

i really like the ambigrams, pretty cool! how did you get the sigils in your web page? if you don't mind me asking. i'm new to this,and i just figured links out, so you can imagine! i think your page looks good, any advise?

you can see mine at "fellowship of the mystery" here on blogspot.com

Fell said...

Yes, the work Hofstadter did in pioneering them is really interesting. Their use in art and media will grow in time, I figure, as more people begin to explore the occult, sigila, and semiotics.

As for the edited image atop, this page is just a template provided by Blogger as I'm too busy to do one up myself. But I did personalise some elements, like the header graphic. That was done in Photoshop and just re-uploaded to Blogger images, then edited into the code. Not particularly difficult, really.

:-)