06 September 2005

Margot Quan Knight

My roommate recently told me her stepfather is very concerned about her living with a "devil worshiper," and though she finds it all very humorous, it's something I've had to learn to live with most of my life. When I was younger I used to think it was funny that people had such a strong reaction to my involvement in the occult. Now I've dealt with the issues of censure, prejudice, and fear. In all regards, I wish I wouldn't attract such a negative view — even though my own personal disposition may be a bit wry and/or impish — my spirituality shouldn't evoke such a fear, distrust, and even hatried in people. My roommate's mother quite likes me, and she liked to compliment my design work when we met, but her stepfather was quiet and now I know why.

On that note, I have always had a huge fascination for why things rub us the wrong way. As a child, I used to thoroughly enjoy the works of such macabre artists like Clive Barker and HR Giger. As I grew older I pursued the subtler quirks and other elements that were the cause of distress among people: such as Diana Thorneycroft, Joel-Peter Witkin, and Chris Cunningham.

Just this morning I came across a nice interview on Pixelsurgeon with photographic artist Margot Quan Knight, where she tweaks reality to throw enough of a monkeywrench into perspective to throw people off and get her message across.

It kind of resonates with the song that came up earlier too: "Karsey Street," by Poison the Well. In it, they sample Kurtz (Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now) speaking of horror: I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that… but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face… and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies.

No comments: